[linux-audio-dev] audio-distro [was: testing the waters]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] audio-distro [was: testing the waters]
From: Maarten de Boer (maarten.deboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 21:20:01 EEST

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, sbenno_AT_gardena.net wrote:
> I think an audio-distro isn't strictly necessary,
>
> it will be easier to provide a couple of RPMs (or DEBs),
> which transform your Redhat,Suse,Debian etc distro in an
> audio distro.
>
> These would comprise the lowlatency kernel ,
> ALSA and other audio software that will be useful.

However, this might not be the best way to attract new
linux users, who have no idea what is RPM, which would
be the best distro to start with, are probably confused
by the OSS vs ALSA issue during installation, etc.

But ofcourse, if we have the RPM's, it is very issue to
create a custom distro, and iso images.

Personally, I think it would be great to have a demo
cdrom, I believe a similar project exists for linux as
a games platform, a bootable cdrom with a bunch of linux
audio killer apps installed, the LL kernel, and autodetec-
tion of audio and video hardware.

Pretty tricky to demo harddiskrecording though, from a
cdrom ;-)

Maarten