Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] testing the waters
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 21:34:44 EEST

I think an audio-distro isn't strictly necessary,

it will be easier to provide a couple of RPMs (or DEBs),
which transform your Redhat,Suse,Debian etc distro in an
audio distro.

These would comprise the lowlatency kernel ,
ALSA and other audio software that will be useful.

You could put one single (or several smaller) RPM on a website,
so that the user with a single
rpm -i audio_distro.rpm can transform his standard distro
in one optimized for audio.

I say this because many are not willing to reinstall a distro from scratch
(I am one of these :-) ) , and the the audio-distro will not be very different
from a standard distro for 99% of the packages.
That is why I prefer to ship the "diff",
and using RPM or DEB make this really easy.

Benno.

--
Benno Senoner
E-Mail: sbenno_AT_gardena.net