Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio (was:re: thanks for you inputs...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio (was:re: thanks for you inputs...)
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 00:25:23 EEST

> One thing that is big on my wish list is a silent computer. I have
> heard that iMacs don't use a fan. A daw based on pentiums can never be
> fanless, but maybe a ppc based system could. Add to that an internal hd
> that can be spun down after booting and a connector that allows the
> recording hd's to be external and stashed in a closet, and I think you
> would have a winner.

Sorry, I actually sadi this (but got scotched by the auto-replay to sender
again *oops* - sorry Paul).

This is a real possibility. I've used G3s in embedded u*ix systems where
the fan is only really needed when you want to operate outside, in the
desert with the sun shining (no I'm not joking).

G3 == 5W PIII == 50W (nuf said?)

However, the problem with all of these things is that it's slightly more
complicated.

Actually, on the G3 systems the sensitive components tend to be the PCI
bridge chips (inherited from .... well x86 of course)....

Keeping them cool, while the PSU is in the same box means that most G3
systems do actually have a fan. However, with a partitioned solution (such
as was suggested earlier) - the possibility of fan-less is really there..

Silent disks... well, that's another story (anyone want to buy some
solid-state scsi disk?)

Iain.