Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Realtime
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 00:22:55 EEST

some of the requirements would be:

- dedicated CPU for audio processing, that means you would need at least a dual
CPU box.

- audio IO interfaces which provide single sample buffers ( or better double
buffering at sample level = 2 buffers of 1 sample each).
(not sure how easy this would be to do in practice (even CD players use a few
samples long FIFOs to conpensate jittering)

- the "plugin" model would not work anymore because of the high
procedure/calling overhead, thus requiring sort of
"inlining all DSP modules into a main loop without any procedure call"

In theory if would be possible to develop some DSP language which
would allow to write DSP algorithms on a per-sample basis which could
then be put in a chain, by taking the source code of all modules and
compiling it into a monolithic binary code block which would then be
executed on the host CPU.
But this scheme would make it hard if not impossible to ship
"binary plugins", since using a per-sample model, would require
a recompile when chaining different plugins in order to get decent speed.

In that case our PC becomes nothing more than a host of a dedicated
CPU which is "misused" to act like a real DSP (process sample per sample).

But the advantages would be obvious ( running within a fully fledged OS,
having access to large amounts of RAM , disk storage space etc, plus
allowing this "recompile" trick in order to give almost same flexibility as
the plugin model, but without sacrificing much speed.

or am I missing something ? :-)

Benno.