Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio (was:re: thanks for you inputs...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ppc linux audio (was:re: thanks for you inputs...)
From: Matthias Pfisterer (Matthias.Pfisterer_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 22:26:52 EEST

Tom Pincince wrote:

> One thing that is big on my wish list is a silent computer. I have
> heard that iMacs don't use a fan. A daw based on pentiums can never be
> fanless, but maybe a ppc based system could. Add to that an internal hd
> that can be spun down after booting and a connector that allows the
> recording hd's to be external and stashed in a closet, and I think you
> would have a winner.
>
> Tom

Let me say that it's not easy, but it should be possible to build a
silent pc. I've almost managed it. I have a big fanless heatsink on my
processor (a AMD K6-III 400) and a special temperature-controlled fan in
the power supply (the data sheet says that the noise varies between
below 10 and 19 dB(A)). The remaining part I can hear is the harddisk.
I've bought one of these new silent harddisks and expect the computer to
be completely silent after having the disks swaped whn there is no disc
activity and almost unperceivable with moderate disk activity. Of course
you mustn't use the CDROM drive....
The cooling of the processor is critical: on hot days when the CPU is
working fully-loaded for 20 minutes or so, it gets heated to a point
where my mainboard gives alarm. And sometimes the machine even crashes.
To do such a way of cooling for a 600+ Mhz machine currently seems
impossible to me.

For the power supply, there may be further options: I know of one
manufacturer that produces fanless power supplies. However, it can only
supply 130W constantly (230W short-term), is only available as AT, not
as ATX and is Euro/US$ 150 net. Not very attractive.

Matthias

--
Matthias Pfisterer	<mailto:Matthias.Pfisterer_AT_gmx.de>

Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

(from a nepalese mantra)

Java Sound Examples: http://rupert.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~pfistere/jsexamples/ Tritonus, the open source implementation of the Java Sound API: http://tritonus.sourceforge.net/ --------------------------------------------------------------