Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Archer Sully (archer_AT_meer.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 00:10:48 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juhana Sadeharju" <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi>

> >From: "Archer Sully" <archer_AT_meer.net>
> >
> >SGI shipped a software synth that worked in a similar fashion in late '95
> >or early '96.
>
> Maybe we should aks from SGI?

Nah, they've disowned audio, or at least all of the competent audio
folks that worked there.

> The patent is 5811706 (May 1997) and its continuation 6008446 (Jun 1998).
> (Is the continuation a way to increase the patent life time? I.e., keep
> refreshing the patent with small or no changes.)

From a quick reading, as long as you avoid a "plurality of cells" you won't
infringe ;-). In fact, it looks like the innovation that they are claiming
is
to apply their algorithm only to a plurality of cells, not a majority or
even
all of them. Whatever a "stream cell" is.

I would not let this patent stop me from trying to develop an open source
sampler. There's more than one way to do it. Just avoid a stream engine
and your safe. Call it a "sample engine" instead.

Just about everything in the continuation has been standard practice for
so long that I'm (not really) surprised that the PTO accepted all of the
claims.

-- archer