Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler Clone
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 20:34:25 EEST

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> the developers on this list could cook up a reasonable audioclip
> player in a couple of days (given the time). What makes samplers
> useful is not playing back precomputed sounds, its all the other stuff
[...]
> That stuff is much harder to write (correctly) than sample playback.

I think we should consider using current Linux trackers as a basis for a
software sampler. For instance, SoundTracker already has MIDI-input,
sample editor, recording, multisample instruments (XI-format),
sequencing, pitch-mapping, a very good mixer, ALSA+OSS support, etc etc
... If you saw this list of features without the tracker context, you'd be
sure you are looking at a software sampler's feature list. And it
works - it's something people use daily to create music. Sure, streaming
from harddisk is something most trackers can't do, but hey, a PC with
128MB mem for samples is quite a bit cheaper than equivalent hw sampler.

I've mentioned about this on many lists recently, but a bit
suprisingly I haven't seen much enthusiasm.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .