Re: [linux-audio-dev] New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?
From: Alexander König (alex_AT_rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de)
Date: to maalis 09 2000 - 06:09:24 EST

Hi,

"Richard W.E. Furse" wrote:
> New version of the LADSPA API and example plugins/hosts available at
> http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/ladspa.html. Plugins-per-library issues are
<..>

Hey, this looks really good! Now I have a question regarding control
ports (I haven't read all the plugin discussion posts so I can just hope
I'm not annoying everybody with a FAQ). From looking at your source it
looks like the only place where a plugin lets the host know the value
range for a control port is the PortNames string. Now if the host wanted
to provide for example a GUI for the LADSPA plugin, it would have to
parse that string to find out about the ports value range? If so, why
not provide something like

float * PortValueMax;
float * PortValueMin;

and maybe even a

float * PortValueDefault;

with a useful default value for each control port? Oh and if the port is
a simple toggle-value (that turns something on/off within the plugin
(value=0.0 -> off, value > 0.0 -> on)) how about a

int * PortIsToggleValue;

so that a GUI could provide a button instead of range widget?

Alex

                            Alexander König - alex_AT_42.fht-esslingen.de
                                             http://www.terminatorX.cx

[From the Homer Quotables:] I didn't want a hokey second wedding like those ones on TV! This one's for real!

-- Homer Simpson A Milhouse Divided