[linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: to maalis 09 2000 - 14:18:47 EST

>> No, all plugins run in the host thread, in an order determined by the
>> host. If plugins ran in their own thread, there would be all kinds of
>> synchronization nonsense necessary, and very close to zero gain, since
>> they *have* to run sequentially in almost every useful instance.
>> Plugins may create their own thread(s) as well, for example to manage
>> their GUI's, or to handle I/O with other devices (e.g a MIDI port).
>
>Really? That seems strange to me. All these threads.. I'd prefer
>one centralized GUI thread.

But with one central GUI thread, there can only be one toolkit. Not good.
No, actually I am making this sound too easy. Its not. I need to think
about it some more.

>Why? The human eye has a lower sampling rate. 30 Hz should really be
>enough.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

>> Wrong. The host should not be paying attention to X events. What role
>
>Maybe we are using a different concept of 'host' here. I ment by host:
>the whole application, where you seem to mean just the plugin handling
>thread.

Well, no I mean the whole application, but what is "the whole
application" when you look at, say, Cubase VST ? If you ignore the
builtin functionality of Cubase itself, its really just a host thread
with a bunch of plugins. I foresee several programs that are really
this stripped down - in fact, in the VST world under windows, several
people have written such hosts so that they can get better real time
performance. That is, there is nothing to the host program except for
a thread that runs/loads plugins.

--p