Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: pe maalis 10 2000 - 06:27:42 EST

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >> No, all plugins run in the host thread, in an order determined by the
> >> host. If plugins ran in their own thread, there would be all kinds of
> >> synchronization nonsense necessary, and very close to zero gain, since
> >> they *have* to run sequentially in almost every useful instance.
> >> Plugins may create their own thread(s) as well, for example to manage
> >> their GUI's, or to handle I/O with other devices (e.g a MIDI port).
> >
> >Really? That seems strange to me. All these threads.. I'd prefer
> >one centralized GUI thread.
>
> But with one central GUI thread, there can only be one toolkit. Not good.
> No, actually I am making this sound too easy. Its not. I need to think
> about it some more.

Paul , I agree.
My ideal situation would be:

allow more than one main GUI thread which handles all GUI issues
for the plugins.
why am I saying main threads (plural) ?
because it would be nice to have one GUI thread which handles GTK
stuff, then other Qt, and another FLTK etc.
one for each widget, everyone will be happy.
Plus don't forget the generalized GUI thread which should allow
a VSTGUI-like API so that plugins that are not that ambitions in terms
of GUI stuff, can use the standard API.

the plugin should use the main GUI threads if possible, but it it allowed to
fire up his own GUI thread for special needs.

> >Why? The human eye has a lower sampling rate. 30 Hz should really be
> >enough.
>
> Thanks, I didn't know that.

Little correction:
for example: PAL TV uses 25 FPS , NTSC TV uses 30 FPS,
cinema movies use 24 FPS.

Although 24-30 FSP is enough to provide a fluid movie,
the movie is not as as smooth as you think.

During very fast movements you can see the "comet" effect a little
(you see the borders of the fast moving object a bit overlapped with the
borders of the object in last frame).

Therefore since peak meters move quite fast , I'd suggest to use 40-50 Hz
for maximum fluidity. more that 50Hz doesn't make any pratical sense.

Benno.