Re: [linux-audio-dev] A few Q's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] A few Q's
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: pe maalis 10 2000 - 08:41:36 EST

>Is the a hint/URL where the overall plan is discussed?

There is no overall plan.

>Latency: - is a performance issue (only - I think) there are solutions to
>record/playback systems: Note:
>
>- It takes 2ms for sound to get from a typical floor monitor to your ear.
>- It takes sound 23ms to get from one end of my studio to the other (this is
>a little disconcerting when playing the piano at one end).

Sure, but why add another 20ms to that time with crappy software ?

>How do we persuade Korg, Opcode (or whoever owns them now) et. al. to let us
>implement drivers for their hardware? - multichannel/ADAT etc. is essential
>for a sensible studio - even a home/project one.

I don't think we need too. Those of working on ALSA have already got
specific high-end vendors to work with us. If Korg, Yamaha, Opcode,
Digidesign and the rest don't want to play with us, thats OK, we can
use cheaper, better hardware like the RME Hammerfall. This card
provides 3 ADAT in, 3 ADAT out, plus S/PDIF and word clock. It
supports 24 bit/96kHz. Latency ranges from 1ms to 180msec at 48kHz.
You can buy one for around $500, and use it on Linux today.

Oops. Sorry, there's no software to use with it. Oh well, back to
coding ...

--p