Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: to maalis 09 2000 - 21:57:45 EST

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000, maarten de boer wrote:
> > I think this is an exceptionally bad idea. the vstGUI model is all
> > wrong. The only way that a host might conceivably get involved with
> > providing a GUI to a plugin is to give it a handle to either an
> > XWindow, or if the host was toolkit-specific, some toolkit specific
>
> On the other hand, providing a basic set GUI functions has also
> some advantages
> - unified look & feel
> - memory footage
> - compatibility issues (and possible crossplatformness)

You can't do much more than defining the GUI from within a plugin
anyway, as plugins shouldn't contain any GUI code it the normal case.
If anything like this is to be done, it is a separate project from
the plugin API. (Just as I proposed to keep any control range and
unit stuff in a separate .conf file, as it doesn't really belong
inside the plugin binaries.)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'