Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA GUI [was: New LADSPA Version - Issues Resolved?]
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: to maalis 09 2000 - 22:04:00 EST

On Thu, 09 Mar 2000, maarten de boer wrote:
> > Right. Well, almost. I would give the plugin its own GUI thread, and
> > have it periodically update the graphical display. There's no point
> > trying to duplicate the kernel's own timeout code with a user-level
> > version, and these plugin GUI threads may run at quite different
> > speeds from each other. I have meters on ardour that attempt to run at
> > roughly the screen update rate (say, 70Hz), but other visual elements
>
> Why? The human eye has a lower sampling rate. 30 Hz should really be
> enough.

That depends on what the visual element looks like, and how it moves.
Personally, with moving objects, I see a very significant difference
between full frame rate and half frame rate or lower, on anything but
displays with 140 Hz frame rate or better. (This is because the eyes
usually percieves two identical frames as a still image, even though
you can't really see what's going on. Motion blur can reduce this
effect, which is why you don't see as much of it on the moives
despite the fact that every frame is "flashed" twice.)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'