Re: [linux-audio-dev] 20 msec

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 20 msec
From: Iain Sandoe (iain_AT_sandoe.co.uk)
Date: pe maalis 10 2000 - 11:32:10 EST

>>Latency: - is a performance issue (only - I think) there are solutions to
>>record/playback systems: Note:
>>
>>- It takes 2ms for sound to get from a typical floor monitor to your ear.
>>- It takes sound 23ms to get from one end of my studio to the other (this is
>>a little disconcerting when playing the piano at one end).
>
> Exactly, and it are precisely those 23 ms that you brain use to have
> an idea of your studio size.
>
> Imagine using a Linux machine as a reverb (let's say using jMax :),
> those 23 ms would be added to the reverb predelay, and reduce
> your ability to control the mix.
>
> And yes, those 23 ms make a difference to your ear ...
>
> This is one of the reason input-output latency should be reduced as much
> as possible.

Thanx 4 the tutorial - however I'm only a newbie to the list - not the topic
(by nearly 20 years ;)

- neither am I advocating 'crappy' code.

My point was (clearly not very well expressed) that there is a limit to how
far it is worth chasing - the last few % have been historically very hard
and time-consuming to obtain.

Iain.