Re: [linux-audio-dev] Quasimodo (Was: Re: LADSPA GUI)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Quasimodo (Was: Re: LADSPA GUI)
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: pe maalis 10 2000 - 13:18:54 EST

MOULET Xavier CNET/DMR/ISS wrote:

> paul barton-davis wrote:
> (SNIP) (2) dilemmas about a better
> > language to support for the modules than Csound's orchestra language
>
> May I suggest python bindings (strong OOP commitment, simple C/C++ wraps,
> gtk frontend, ...) ? (I thought there was a thread about that kind of
> musical languages here but I don't remember what emerged - if anything).

I think PBD has already explained why python is unsuitable as
Quasimodo's orchestra language.

You're probably thinking of my project pysco, which currently lives
at
http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/pw_linux/code.html
(yes, the page is back online now.)

Pysco currently has nothing to do with csound orchestras or
Quasimodules or anything like that. Pysco is a python module which
adds score-generating capabilities to python. Currently only csound
output is supported, but that's not built in at a deep level. MIDI
output (both streams and files) will be added.

Pysco is still in embryonic stages and the version on the webpage
has very little to do with what I'm doing now, which is a complete
object-oriented redesign. Much of it is still in my head and on
random scraps of paper.
The goal of the project is to allow powerful algorithmic and
motif-based composition directly in python scripts, thus allowing
the full flexibility and power of python for all the crazy
composition-specific stuff. AND pysco intends to be useful for
building compositional tools, e.g. an interactive drum machine GUI.
A secondary goal is to support various types of output.

Most of my ideas involve making it easier to manage WHEN things
happen since I think that's the fundamental common basis of all
musical composition. I'm trying for a comfortable mix of flexibility
and ease of use (compared to writing Csound scores by hand, which
offers great flexibility and zero ease of use. :)) Speed of
performance is probably always going to be a secondary concern. I
want it to be useful for playing around in realtime, but I don't
expect to be able to run a full-blown midi sequencer based on pysco.

There was some talk about pysco on the mailing list in January...
and now I can finally say "Check the archives of this list." :)

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo