Re: [linux-audio-dev] A few Q's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] A few Q's
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: pe maalis 10 2000 - 12:51:18 EST

Iain Sandoe wrote:

> I am having difficulty seeing the overall architecture of what is
> being
> attempted by the various solutions LADSPA/Alsa/MuCoS etc.

Hopefully the proposed LAD home page will summarize what the major
projects are for.

As to the three you mentioned:
ALSA is a soundcard driver system which intends to remove the
limitations of the old OSS drivers. It is well-developed and working
today.
http://www.alsa-project.org

LADSPA and MuCos are two proposed plugin APIs which mostly exist as
discussion on this list, most of which is way over my head. I
gather there is already some example LADSPA code of some sort and at
least some API headers for MuCoS. I admit I am not clear on the
relationship between LADSPA and MuCoS, but I gather LADSPA could be
a subset of MuCoS?

> - It takes 2ms for sound to get from a typical floor monitor to your ear.

I'm taller than that. :)
>From a floor monitor, I'd say 3ms sitting down, and a minimum of 5
standing up.
I don't know why I'm quibbling over that.

> How do we persuade Korg, Opcode (or whoever owns them now) et. al. to let us
> implement drivers for their hardware? - multichannel/ADAT etc. is essential
> for a sensible studio - even a home/project one.

RME Hammerfall has been mentioned already and is a good contender
for pro studios. There are also ALSA drivers for some Midiman
hardware, some of which looks very well suited to home /
small-project studios. See ALSA home page (www.alsa-project.org) for
info on supported devices.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS -----> http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page ----> http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo