Re: [linux-audio-dev] syncing soundcards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] syncing soundcards
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: la maalis 11 2000 - 22:38:23 EST

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, depet_AT_gmx.de wrote:
> what about syncing 2 soundcards (sbawe, sb16) the hard way?
> I mean if I would remove the crystal from the sb16 and, with
> some soldering, share the sbawe's crystal as clock-source.

Provided the "crystal" is actually an integrated oscillator (with
Vcc, GND and a TTL or CMOS logic level output, that is), this should
work. (Pure crystals depend on some additional components on the
board, so you have to dig some more to insert an external clock, or to
extract a usable signal.) You may have to use coax cable and/or some
buffering to get a fine clock signal to the slave card.

(Note: Of course, the two cards have to use the same oscillator
frequency in their original shape, or you'll end up with one card
behaving very strangely... :-)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'