Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)
From: monty (fowlkes_AT_lenin.dabney.caltech.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 15:21:29 EST

>> But now for the other thing I wanted to ask: Let's say we have something
>> like a LADSPA-OSS-output plugin. How should that behave? My concern is
>> on locking /dev/dsp for example. I see 3 ways this could be handled:
>
> Hmm, I'm not so sure whether this is a good idea. As you pointed out,
> additional functions are needed to the API. And handling audio devices can
> get rather complex. Multichannel cards, synchronization, etc. etc... But
> still, this is a really important subject.

so it seems to me that host is probably going
to want to provide the audio output plugin.
audio devices are presumably pretty host
specific so maybe we don't want any assumptions
built into the API. the host could wrap
something with the LADSPA interface to make
it easy to hook to the rest of the plugin
chain but then access other non-LADSPA
functions to deal with unlocking devices,
etc.

charless