Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:21:22 EST

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, David Slomin wrote:

>> 3) Standard UNIX IPC-mechanisms (pipes, sockets, etc). These of course
>> work, but are too clumsy for every day use.
> and conventional pipes are quite practical for everyday use. A
> Bourne script or two to tie things together, and they're virtually
> transparent. I can say this with experience, since I run MIDI over

Doh, you're right. What I meant to say was that these standard mechanisms
are too generic for connecting audio apps. And I'm now viewing this
from the end-user side. For application developers, pipes are of
course useful. But if a normal app user wants to connect two audio apps
together, (s)he needs to take care of setting the correct audio
parameters (on both sides), fragments sizes, and othewise set up the
connection. And not all apps are capable of using pipes as inputs and
outputs (especially when you need realtime operation).

> The only things you have to worry about about are buffer sizes and
> latency issues; as has been pointed out on the list often enough,
> you do better with shared memory than with pipes. I've yet to have

... and shared memory is not an option for the end user.

> ridiculously restrictive. However, if you make your apps and
> plugins able to be controlled by MIDI or similar messages, then
> they can be automated via a sequencer without any extra effort.

This is true, but you still have to handle the audio streams.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing