Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:07:55 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Alexander Ehlert wrote:

>> Well, not exactly. ESD is mainly about mixing multiple outputs to
>> single audio device (network transparently). This isn't necessarily
>> needed for the audio routing API. We could start with something simple
> ESD is already quasi standard, why not just extend esd with those
> features? Just add it to esd as an option.

Like Paul already said, ESD isn't very popular at the moment. It's
unmaintained and has some serious limitations (fragment size problem).
But I agree that already existing APIs should be used as much as
possible...

1) ALSA

This is my current favorite. ALSA already has a modular pcm-API and
support for pcm-loopback. For instance, when you open an ALSA pcm-device,
it isn't necessarily a sound card (dummy, shared, etc. modules). What's
missing is the connection layer (dummy+shared+pcm-loopback => new
user-space API, or extension to the current APIs).

2. aRts

As we all know, aRts is going to be the KDE2.x sound daemon. Stefan,
if you're reading this, can you explain how this project is going?
What kind of APIs you plan to offer to the application side; relation
between aRts and ALSA/OSS/ESD, etc...?

3. MuCoS

This seems to be a good answer, no matter what the question is. :)
David, what's your view on the "MuCos <=> audio app connecting" issue?

4. ideas?

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing