Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 16:38:08 EST

Further comments (though I think my last ones went only to Andrew -
could you forward them to LAD, please ?)

>I don't think this is a problem, as long as you record to disk in
>the same place (or near to) the place you read from. The major
>pressure on disk IO is the seek time.

Thats the problem - we don't! Right now I buffer 1 seconds worth of
data (typically 4 * 48000 = 192000 bytes) in a ringbuffer, so we're
actually writing 187KB behind the read location. This is, I think,
more than enough to cause a seek problem.

In my experiments so far, my disk subsystem (Ultra 2 SCSI, AIC7890
controller) can handle it, but as I said in the other message,
ardour's buffering scheme needs a complete redesign.

--p