Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput
From: Andrew Clausen (clausen_AT_gnu.org)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 16:54:36 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> i should remember to "run cc first, open mouth later".

;-)

> i tried your program and got 14.2MB/sec throughput. I also noticed
> that your buffer size was 1MB, which means that my initial concern
> about the gap between the read/write locations is irrelevant. Thanks a
> lot for checking this out. Now I have to work out a buffering scheme
> that works :)

:-)

In practise, you should be able to vary the hard disk buffer size
independently of everything else, so you could tune it to best
performance for each machine (run some tests to see which is best?)

Also, the raw partition is going to be more reliable, because a file
could be fragmented (increasing the number of seeks), but a partition
is guaranteed to be continuous.

Maybe it's worth writing a special file system for this kind of thing.

Andrew Clausen