Re: [linux-audio-dev] this one has to go into the next linuxsound page

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] this one has to go into the next linuxsound page
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 17:00:04 EST

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> A complete emulation of a cheesy 80's analog, the Juno 6.
>
> It compiles out of the box, a few details of the GUI are a bit clunky,
> and it uses more CPU that I would expect, but its basically a
> fantastic piece of work. Not GPL, but you get source.
>
> http://www.ultramaster.com/juno6/index.html

unfortunately I have bad news about this program
:-(

I tested if on 2.2.10N6B kernel, grepped throught the source
and sw that SCHED_FIFO isn't enabled by default.

Enabled SCHED_FIFO and I got still quite a bit of dropouts,
plus the app locked up after a while,
and since it ran SCHED_FIFO I had to reboot my machine.

I think they are using GTK + spinlocks in a wrong way,
leading do both bad latencies and instability of the software.
(even on the .WAV demo from their site you can hear some cracklings)

I think the synth sounds good, but the software needs a "low-latency cure"
:-)

Don't ask me because have all my hands full.

Benno.