Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 12:06:30 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> Thats why these two problems are really just variants on the same
> thing. I need to shift my mental picture of what ardour does.
> I have been thinking of it as a 2-state device for each channel -
> either recording or playback. Instead, it needs to be a device that
> always does playback, but sometimes does capture(+cross-fade mixing)
> as well.

ahh !
Understood.
I agree completely now,

Putting all channels in record mode, and allowing your
described zero-latency switching record/playback switching, will be funny,
since you will need 18MB/sec.
:-)
But this is not an ardour's specific problem,
that means if cubase wants to do this (I don't know if you can do this),
it has to take a similar approach.
Any Cubase/Logic/Cakewalk heavy duty user out here, which can
describe us if/how these features work in the respective programs ?
( is there a lag when switching to record/playback mode)

( But the "lag" problem in programs like Cubase is that you
always run the engine using several hundreds msecs of
audio buffers, therefore a zero-latency switch feature is not
possible in practice (assuming you want to hear the full
audio signalpath)).

> >BTW, how long does take a random seek in ardour at 24 tracks:
> >ie: when you seek from the begging to the middle, how many
> >secs (or fractions) pass until you can hear the audio again ?
> >just curious :-)
>
> i haven't measured it, but a rough guess would be 0.5 to 1 second. The
> transport control logic doesn't let you go directly from
> play->rewind->play again, which I should change, but the LED's do
> indicate then the seeking has stopped.

Sounds good, very acceptable time.

Benno.