Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] hdr disk throughput
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 00:35:24 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:
> Any Cubase/Logic/Cakewalk heavy duty user out here, which can
> describe us if/how these features work in the respective programs ?
> ( is there a lag when switching to record/playback mode)

No lag in Cakewalk, but you do notice the load on the disk if you
record multiple tracks while playing back a bunch. I've managed
playing back 24 tracks and recording 8 on this machine (max load is
around 32 tracks playback), but I'm not 100% sure about the relation
punch-in/out vs. record to new tracks. Also note that Cakewalk cheats
in that you have to specify which tracks to arm for recording before
you start the engine! The arm switches cannot be changed without
stopping the engine, but you can toggle the record switch any time
you like without noticable latency or dropouts. (Unless you overload
the machine, of course.)

> ( But the "lag" problem in programs like Cubase is that you
> always run the engine using several hundreds msecs of
> audio buffers, therefore a zero-latency switch feature is not
> possible in practice (assuming you want to hear the full
> audio signalpath)).

Well, in Cakewalk, the record buffers seem to be running all the time
when some tracks are armed, as there is no noticable delay whatsoever
when starting to record while playing back. (This is with a config
tuned for up to 32 tracks, meaning there are *seconds* of
disk->output latency.)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'