Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins
From: James McCartney (asynth_AT_io.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 22:04:22 EST

on 3/14/00 8:45 PM, Paul Barton-Davis at pbd_AT_Op.Net wrote:

> In message <B4F444D2.65A%asynth_AT_io.com>you write:
>> on 3/14/00 5:20 PM, Paul Barton-Davis at pbd_AT_Op.Net wrote:
>>
>>> What you are describing are a set of limitations that, to the best of
>>> my knowledge, plugin APIs like VST & TDM do not require. TDM has its
>>> drawbacks, but if its good enough for a majority of digital pro
>>> studios, I figure its probably good enough.
>>
>> I think I wrote SC because I considered those limitations not "good
>> enough"..
>
> I didn't mean limitations in what they could do. In fact, if you could
> show me one thing that SC can do that a TDM plugin cannot, I'd really
> appreciate it in sharpening my thinking about this.

dynamic instantiation in response to a trigger..

Say for instance you count zero crossings in a singer's voice and on every
4th one you instantiate a synth patch to put out a short additive grain
where the number of oscillators is determined by the amplitude of the voice.

> perhaps not. From what little I know about SC, its hard for me to
> imagine it hosting plugins in anything like the sense that Cubase or
> ProTools do - its just designed to work that way. Am I right ?

More like the plug-ins of MSP or Csound ugens, except for the real time
instantiation requirement.

--- james mccartney james_AT_audiosynth.com <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time synthesis programming language for the PowerMac.
<ftp://www.audiosynth.com/pub/updates/SC2.2.7.sea.hqx>