Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins
From: James McCartney (asynth_AT_io.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 23:19:15 EST

on 3/14/00 9:42 PM, Paul Barton-Davis at pbd_AT_Op.Net wrote:

> There seems to be a great deal of confusion over what the term
> "plugin" means. At one time, I thought it Ok for it cover both these
> low-level things ("opcodes", "ugens", "DSP functions") and the high
> level things ("Sci-Fi", "AutoTune", "Cycling '74", "DeSpider" to name
> some examples of plugins that spring to mind).

OK I see. There are probably several levels of plug ins then, and so what I
was asking for is not appropriate at this level.

1) Something like BeOS MediaNodes. Very heavy weight, more like full apps
that can be piped together.
2) Statically allocated large processes/effects with GUIs, automation. VST
and TDM plugins fall here.
3) Lightweight unit generators. MSP, Csound, SC unit generators.

--- james mccartney james_AT_audiosynth.com <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time synthesis programming language for the PowerMac.
<ftp://www.audiosynth.com/pub/updates/SC2.2.7.sea.hqx>