Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI Issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI Issues
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 22:15:00 EST

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, David Olofson wrote:
>
> > I think it's a good idea to have "soft" ranges, but I still think
> > that the "recommended" range should be somewhat standardized, so that
> > a wildly experimenting user can see some similarity in how different
> [...]
> > Signed:
> > -1.0 <= value <= 1.0
> > Unsigned:
> > 0.0 <= value <= 1.0
>
> Hmm, I understand what you're aiming at. Still, I'd prefer to
> have meaningful control values. For instance, if I load
> a filter plugin, I want to specify the cutoff-freq using Hz
> (eg. 400Hz). You can always use the range recommendation to
> scale the control values to a more standard range....

My idea is that no scaling should be done in the middle of the
processing (ie inside the net or engine), as this is just overhead to
work around something that doesn't make sense on that level anyway. I
can't see how it's better forcing the engine to scale data
everywhere, instead of having the user interface API do it when it's
actually needed... The same job done in the right place.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'