Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI Issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA GUI Issues
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 11:41:24 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, David Olofson wrote:

[ static control value ranges ]
>> a filter plugin, I want to specify the cutoff-freq using Hz
>> (eg. 400Hz). You can always use the range recommendation to
> My idea is that no scaling should be done in the middle of the
> processing (ie inside the net or engine), as this is just overhead to
> work around something that doesn't make sense on that level anyway. I

I disagree here. For example in ecasound, all control sources
(oscillators, MIDI-CCs, input-widgets) produce float values between
[0,1]. All scaling is done in a separate object ([0,1] -> [n,m]).
Effects, on the other hand, don't do any scaling. Thus scaling is
only needed when fething new values from control sources.

Another problem is parameters with a theoretical value range of
(inf,inf). For instance, how does an amplifier-plugin interpret
the [0,1] value range?

But, but, if we still decide to use [0,1], then we need to
add new function hooks to the API... 'real parameter value' ->
'control value' and the other way around. Otherwise it's impossible
to generate a usable GUI for LADSPA plugins.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing