Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio routing (was: Re: LADSPA GUI Issues)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 22:21:39 EST

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >do it all on one machine (live recording, software synths,
> >samplers and sequencers --> multitrack-recording software --> master).
>
> if any more than one of the above has to run SCHED_FIFO, i expect that
> concurrent execution of them will not work unless you are operating
> with long latencies (large buffers).

On the contrary, I think you have to use lots of *small* buffers to
simulate the timer controlled preemptive scheduling (time sharing)
that's missing with sched FIFO. Of course, you'll also need some
extra buffering, as this extra switching and interference will eat
power and increase the jitter. The worst case is probably something
like all threads being scheduled in the wrong order, due to the lack
of EDF (Earliest Deadline First) scheduling.

> roll on the 4 way athlons :)

Yeah, I'd like one or two of those... :-D

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'