Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Real time plug ins
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 00:52:48 EST

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> All this suggests to me that the "instantiate" routine ptr should be
> renamed to "initialize". Or is it already ? :)

BTW, this is somewhat related to the connection issue. For some
reason, someone claimed that connecting ports in real time would be
far beyond the scope of LADSPA, or something like that... I still
don't get the point, as connecting ports is simpler than
initialization: plugins don't have to do *anything* at all, or even
bother with knowing about it (*)with MuCoS, as the "routing tables"
are accessible by the host; not sure about LADSPA), as the ports are
always there, and the plugin should always expect to find valid
pointers in an existing port.

That is, as soon as the instantiation is done, anything that the host
can do by simply connecting plugins is a total non-issue, as the
plugin code is not at all involved.

(*) With MuCoS, as the "routing tables" are accessible by the host;
not sure about LADSPA. The current MuCoS event system design has a
table with a port pointer and a virtual channel id for each output
channel, and a virtual channel->real input channel mapping table for
the input channels. The host just changes these tables if it wants to
connect plugins differently, and the events will go to the right
place right away. No plugin function calls involved.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'