Re: [linux-audio-dev] Levels, Instantiate, Extensions/Finalisation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Levels, Instantiate, Extensions/Finalisation
From: James McCartney (asynth_AT_io.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 22:33:45 EST

on 3/15/00 9:04 PM, Richard W.E. Furse at richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk wrote:

> As far as I can see SC should be fine instantiating appropriate plugins at
> runtime but IMHO instant initialisation is not practical in general and
> should not be mandatory. My vote, as I think I posted before, is that SC do
> timing tests, perhaps offline in a separate program, to establish what
> plugins instantiate are fast enough for use live.

This is just not reliable. Either the standard supports instant start, or
not. And if not then SC will not use LADSPA as its unit generator plug in
API. LADSPA plug ins would then only be used in a static environment as they
are intended to be used.

As far as not being practical, I don't agree. I have been able to implement
just about any unit generator you can think of with instant starting. It is
not at all impossible, but does require a bit more brain effort to do.

--- james mccartney james_AT_audiosynth.com <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time synthesis programming language for the PowerMac.
<ftp://www.audiosynth.com/pub/updates/SC2.2.7.sea.hqx>