[linux-audio-dev] RE: David, please explain you thoughts about Levels

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RE: David, please explain you thoughts about Levels
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 18:17:10 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:
> > How about we just make it a parameter to runAdding() - this cuts down the
> > flab lots and focuses it where it will be most useful. (Host wants to write
> > to a bus, plugin has been written in elaborate form.)
>
> do you mean a parameter to the callback, like runAdd(float gain) o
> something alike ?
>
> nope.
>
> I just hate to pass around this parameter hundred times per second to
> plugins, while it very probably doesn't change at all almost all the time
> (except when you fiddle on mixers, or some automation is running)
>
> Therefore I strongly suggest to use a setGain() (and probably a getGain()
> function too, in the case the plug changes it (will we allow this , David ?).

Uhm, yes, but as I said earlier, I prefer to see it as just another
standard control - with the only difference that it happens to
conform to a standard, so that it's behaviour makes sense to the host.

> > Even so, I really don't like this.
>
> I don't understand your objections.

I do. Yet some more stuff in the "simple" API header.

(
Hmm... Idea: How about separating the API header in something like
the plugin types/levels discussed earlier? That would mean that only
the absolute basic stuff is in the fist header file, and you only
have to read and understand that to hack you first working plugin.

Stuff like flags for advanced stuff, the event system (if it goes in)
and this Standard Output Level Control thing goes into one or more
other headers that you add when you need more than the basic plugin
API.
)

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'