RE: [linux-audio-dev] misc ladspa questions

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] misc ladspa questions
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 00:48:14 EET

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

> Personally I don't see a point to the [-1,1] restriction - most plugins

Ok, this should be documented in the API docs... "audio sample
value range is [min,max] where abs(min) = abs(max) = any float value".

> 2. I think hosts should be free to use their own plugin-location
> approaches, but a standard location for shared plugins would be rather nice
> - really good idea. I'm no expert on standard UNIX file paths, but one day

Yes, apps will of course have their own means of seraching for plugins
(environment variables, config-files, standard lib-dirs), but a default
directory recommendation would be practical. Most people just "make
install" (or use rpm/deb), and it would be good that LADSPA plugins were
by default installed to the same directory.

> Linux may ship with a bunch of plugins - so perhaps a non /local/ directory
> would be appropriate? Should we be using environment variables to determine
> path? Perhaps there should also be a non-root user convention? (e.g.
> ~/.ladspa_plugins)

Hmm, I like /usr/share/ladspa and /usr/local/share/ladspa. Others,
comments?

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing