RE: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA/ecasound status report

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA/ecasound status report
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 01:01:03 EET

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

>> them to a dynamic object map. To use a plugin, user must know its
>> unique name. The following is done with ecasound's current CVS-version
> Currently labels are only unique WITHIN the plugin library, so to identify
> a plugin uniquely one should be using library name + label, not just label.
> I did this before really thinking about quite how uniquely identifiable
> plugins HAVE to be to be useful - my fault entirely. The numeric ID
> business will get around this - would this break things for you? Perhaps we
> should store labels globally too, however I think there will be a lot of
> demand for labels like "delay" and "lpf".

Hmm, this shouldn't cause trouble in ecasound. Things I have to worry
about are:

1) String-handle must be unique, but only during one library session.
   This means I can use delay, delay<2>, etc... User can get the correct
   handle from the object-map.
2) Handles must be user-friendly. No matter how complex tasks you are
   doing, ecasound must remain easy-to-use from the command-line and
   the console mode user-interface. Typing 32bit identifiers is a definite
   no-no. ;)

So feel free to extend the API with numeric IDs.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing