Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?
From: Alexander Ehlert (ehlert_AT_phys.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 03:14:33 EET

Hi,

> If you studied Calculus, you know how fast the precision can vanish,
> when you have to deal with algorithms which show up some numerical
> instability.
>
> Therefore for full 24bit audio quality the 32bit float is simply not enough.

I think it's more a matter of good plugin design, when working with that
sort of algorithms. You have to know the limits of your algorithm. And if
you really need more performance you can still do conversion from float to
double within the filter. What are you going to do if you're reaching the
limits of double precision and you want to have "full" 64bit quality?

Cheers, Alex