[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Version 1 [provisional release 1] Available

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Version 1 [provisional release 1] Available
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 20:28:29 EET

Hi there - I've fixed LADSPA up with a new batch of changes, mostly fairly
minor.

See http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/ladspa.html.

Points of note:

        1. Activate() and deactivate() functions introduced. I've renamed them
from the earlier 'initialise' suggestions to tie them in with real-time
concepts.
        2. No type extensions (double, 32bit integer etc). From ground up LADSPA
has been intended to be so simple it would only use one data type. float
gives a far better compatibility with existing systems. I've added comments
to the text to make explicit that FP values are not bound to a particular
range. This gives compatibility with existing systems, keeps things simple
and avoids a whole load of nasty issues (IMHO). Ranges can still be
'hinted.'
        3. runAdding() support is not included. I'm still not 100% sure about
this, but I'm a little more sure than previously. It seems that to make
runAdding() useful it is necessary to include some kind of setGain()
mechanism.
        4. Renamed couple of fields and #defines for clarity and updated lots of
documentation.
        5. I've included a 24bit UniqueID field.
        6. Versioning has begun.

I'm pretty sure about this release - but then I thought that before the
'hints' issue was pointed out. However, I do think that this baseline is
solid enough for people to start writing plugins.

The documentation remains internal (within ladspa.h) but because of all the
special cases that are now handled there it has become rather unwieldy as
an introductory document. Would some kind soul like to write up a HOWTO
guide for host and plugin writers?

-- Richard