Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 20:12:56 EET

  I am new to the list and I've been following only last few days of the
thread so this is more of an outside opinion then insight:

  you don't want to be stuck with one data format in API specs.

  no matter how good the data format is, sooner or later you will need
different data format (no data format is good for everything). I think
that sooner or later you (or somebody else) would like to have
compressed data format. I assume that plugins are network transparent
(either that or plug-ins ARE the network) - right? in some cases you are
going to operate via limited bandwidth...

  of course, it makes sense that in most cases plugins will use the
default data format (whatever that will be).

  all above IMO, of course.

  while we're at it - where can I get more info about these issues? for
example - are plugins strictly audio only or are they going to be used
in more general sense (for example midi etc.). as far as I can see there
is no reason not to be prepared for any streamable data. after all a
stream is a stream is a... am I too of the tangent here?

        erik