Re: [linux-audio-dev] stereo / multichannel plugins in LADSPA ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stereo / multichannel plugins in LADSPA ?
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 22:13:03 EET

   Hi!

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 05:50:26PM +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:
> I am thinking about how to support stereo / multichannel operations in LADSPA.
> let's assume we want have e stereo-simulator plugin ( makes pseudo stereo out
> of a mono signal)
>
> [...]
>
> Therefore I am thinking about supporting interleaved data streams in LADSPA.
>
> ie: a 4 channel stream looks as follows:
> S1CH1 S1CH2 S1CH3 S1CH4 S2CH1 S2CH2 S2CH3 S2CH4 S3CH1 ....
> (sample1 channel 1 , sample1 channel2 etc .... )

I don't think this is a good idea. If you implement a stereo plugin in
terms of mono plugins (as flow graph), you must demultiplex stuff first,
then process through the mono plugins and then remultiplex.

For instance, a special stereo reverb could be implemented as aRts flow
graph with four mono delays, some filters, and some mixing involved.

All in all I don't really see the benefits of interleaving data, while I see
real problems which occur with even such simple things as connecting two mono
sound sources to the input of a stereo plugin (where you need to convert ...
again, while with seperate buffers you could connect them directly).

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany