Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?
From: James McCartney (asynth_AT_io.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 00:49:29 EET

on 3/22/00 12:28 PM, Benno Senoner at sbenno_AT_gardena.net wrote:
on 3/22/00 12:28 PM, Benno Senoner at sbenno_AT_gardena.net wrote:

> ( 0.006 - 0.01) / (0.006 ) = 0.666 = 66% error !!

You can cook up examples like this all day long..
No one should write code like that.

> even if every plugin uses 64bit fp internally, the data transfer between
> plugins using only 32bits, could cause the loss of a FEW bits, not only one.

Lets say you lose 8 bits in FP32 calculations. You still have 96 dB signal
to noise ratio. You won't even hear it. If you lose bits in a quiet 24 bit
integer signal thats when you are in trouble.

{
    // supercollider patch adding pulse noise to a sine wave
    // amplitude of noise controlled by mouse position.
    SinOsc.ar(1000, 0, 0.5)
    + ClipNoise.ar(1 / MouseX.kr(4,65536,\exponential))
}.play

> trying to deliver in-bits == out-bits at 24bit quality using only floats
> is just hopeless.

24 bit integers are too many bits for loud signals and still not enough bits
for quiet ones. The greater problem is in the integer formats, not 32 bit
floats.

I'm not arguing against 64 bit support. I'm arguing that it is really more a
marketing issue than a practical one.

--- james mccartney james_AT_audiosynth.com <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time synthesis programming language for the PowerMac.
<ftp://www.audiosynth.com/pub/updates/SC2.2.7.sea.hqx>