Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 64bit FP support ?
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 04:34:40 EEST

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, David Olofson wrote:
>
> > BTW, I've been thinking about this LADSPA_TYPE_SIZE thing. What if
> > someone wants to pass video frames? Logically, a video frame would
> > correspond to a sample, but OTOH, passing video as one (B/W) or three
> > (RGB) streams of an integer or float type opens up interesting
> > possibilities...
> >
> > Anyway, the point is that 16 bits for size is a somewhat unmotivated
> > figure. Big enough for what most people would call a data element,
> > but way too small for a full video frame or some other (probably low
> > frame rate) data, like analyze results being passed to the GUI of a
> > visualization plugin.
>
> For different data you want to have different protocols with extra
> information attached to a per buffer header. It does not make any sense
> to feed video data to an audio plugin :)

Well, if you pass video data as 3 signals, R, G and B, you can do
some basic processing, but of course, as soon as you start using
filters and the like, there will be weird side effects... :-)

Anyway, I don't think making ports incompatible as a general rule is
a good idea. For example, some people suggest treating control and
audio data as separate, incompatible data types, while others are
actually *using* systems where ports of these two kinds are connected
in normal setups. Modular synths usually don't even have the
audio/control distinction.

As for passing an entire video frame the same way as a scalar, I
think this seems a bit weird. Control ports take single elements,
while I'd guess the logical abstraction for a video system would be
to stream video through something more like the audio ports. That is,
no "full video frame" data type.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'