Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with multichannel and multi-dataype support almost finished,need opinions !

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with multichannel and multi-dataype support almost finished,need opinions !
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 21:23:35 EEST

>From: "Richard W.E. Furse" <richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk>
>
>It has been made clear from the ground up that variable data types are
>beyond the scope of LADSPA for reasons of simplicity and compatibility.

There is nothing problems in including them. As I minute ago mailed,
it is even possible to allow arbitrary types if programmer of plug-ins
provide conversion plug-ins for his own system.

If you really want go for limited path, choose 64-bit float for signal
transmission.

Scope of LADSPA.. my ass! :)
Sure different plug-in layers are must, but it just happen to be that
LADSPA is **the** layer where different data types should be provided.

So, my suggestion is:
Don't fix the types as enumerated numbers, use string names instead.

I guess no other changes need to be done to allow the improved system.
Comments?

Juhana