Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with multichannel and multi-dataype support almost finished,need opinions !

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with multichannel and multi-dataype support almost finished,need opinions !
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 07:42:32 EEST

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: "Richard W.E. Furse" <richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk>
> >
> >It has been made clear from the ground up that variable data types are
> >beyond the scope of LADSPA for reasons of simplicity and compatibility.
>
> There is nothing problems in including them. As I minute ago mailed,
> it is even possible to allow arbitrary types if programmer of plug-ins
> provide conversion plug-ins for his own system.
>
> If you really want go for limited path, choose 64-bit float for signal
> transmission.
>
> Scope of LADSPA.. my ass! :)
> Sure different plug-in layers are must, but it just happen to be that
> LADSPA is **the** layer where different data types should be provided.
>
> So, my suggestion is:
> Don't fix the types as enumerated numbers, use string names instead.

This is basically just a matter of encoding. Isn't 32768 different
types enough? And strings don't prevent clashes. It has to be managed
centrally anyway.

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'