Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with dynamic datatype and multichannel support released !!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA with dynamic datatype and multichannel support released !!
From: Karl W. MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 21:32:56 EEST

Well, I give up because I am out of ways to explain my objections - if
anyone agrees with me please speak up. I would still like to see an
example (with lots of details instead of "but this knob goes to eleven")
of a problem this solves that can't be handled by a plugin internally (as
Richard was saying). All I can say is this does not address my concerns
in any fundamental way (which you seem to think it should, Benno). Off to
migrate the bug reporting system for Windows 2000 to 64bit floats to
prepare for the future . . .

Karl (Bill)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:

> folks , after working very hard on LADSPA during the whole weekend ,
> I _GOT_ it. :-)
>
> dynamic datatype and multichannel support for LADSPA is here (works great)
>
> but before you download the code, please read the whole mail,
> because we need your comments and ideas in order to make
> LADSPA the best and most flexible API, while still retaining simplicity.
>
> the ladspa package:
> http://www.linuxdj.com/ladspa/ladspa03272000.tar.gz
>
> the header file:
> http://www.linuxdj.com/ladspa/ladspa.h.txt
>
> I adapted the example host and the two plugins ( delay.c and filter.c) to the
> new LADSPA API.
>
> The only structure which used LADSPA_Data directly was PortRangeHint
> ( LowerBound and UpperBound).
> The PortRangeHint structure now contains two void * pointer to LowerBound
> and UpperBound. Therefore the plugin has to malloc() the memory for the values.
>
> I eliminated the LADSPA_Data type completely , since neither the union
> nor the char[16] solution sounded acceptable to me after reading David's mail.
> The approach is now to allow _ANY_ datatype, with no size restrictions, since
> it's all managed dynamically.
>
> Now to general capabilities:
>
> - hosts and plugin can support an arbitrary number of datatypes.
> the host can lookup the supported datatypes and choose amongst one of them
>
> - plugins can support DIFFERENT datatypes for input and outputs.
> The restriction is that you can have only one input datatype and one output
> datype.
> For example if you set input datatype = float and output datatype = double
> the both input CONTROL ports and input AUDIO ports have to use the float
> type, while output CONTROL ports and output AUDIO ports have to use double.
>
> Allowing per-port datatype would make things much more complicated for host
> and plugins, since our goal here is audio streaming not events.
>
> For example if you have a lowpassfilter running in 32bit float mode, then the
> cutoff frequency will be a float too, when you use the 64bit version, the
> parameter becomes 64bit too. I think that is not that much restrictive.
> Notice that input and output is decoupled.
> if you run a plugin with input dataype=float and output datatype=double
> (assuming that it supports different datatypes for input and output)
> the input control ports become float and the output control ports become
> double.
> Too much restrictive ? (IMHO it's not worth the trouble change this)
>
> I opted for separate input and output datatypes since it will allow
> to implement easily the famous CONVERTER-PLUGINS.
> (e.g. the ones which Juhana was talking about: double->16bit int converters
> etc) there is no limit about combinations.
> Each datatype is described by a DataTypeDescriptor:
>
> typedef struct {
> int BitSize;
> int BitAlign;
> int Type;
> [...]

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| 410/659-8297 |