[linux-audio-dev] an important issue for LAD: please read

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] an important issue for LAD: please read
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 22:56:47 EEST

In this message, I am not going to "name names". I hope that most of
you will agree on my reasons for doing so, and that furthermore, those
of you who know whats going on here will be able to read between the
lines of this message to get more specifics.

This morning, I received a very significant message from the director
of product development at an organization that would like to cooperate
with the Linux community in bringing some of its technology/products
into the Linux audio realm. They are sincerely and warmly interested
in the Linux market, which they have been watching "with interest".

They are not willing, however, to deal with the "complete Linux
community", which one can well understand, given its breadth and
diversity of opinion, background and attitude. Therefore, I am not
specifying who they are. I am hoping that people on the list who can
infer who I'm talking about do not flood them with individual email.

The challenge for us is to come up with a small and reasonably
cohesive group that would be willing to work with this
organization. At issue, I think, is the development of an open source
SDK for Linux that would enable many existing pieces of software to be
used on our platform of choice. I don't know for sure, but I suspect
that this group can not contain much more than about 6 "audible"
individuals. Of course, there's no limit on the number of people
involved, but I doubt that we can establish reasonable and productive
communication with the organization in question with more than that
being "on the front line".

I do NOT want to make myself into a self-appointed leader, and I am
happy to step out of the loop on this if people want me too. OTOH, I
am also happy to continue being the "front" for our efforts on
this. With this in mind, I would like to hear PRIVATELY from people on
the list who:

    * are active Linux audio developers
    * want to be involved in this effort
    * have time available

Apologies for the cryptic nature of the message, but I felt it was
better this way. We may be on the verge of a truly exciting
development in Linux audio/MIDI ...

--p