Re: [linux-audio-dev] comments on benno's ideas

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] comments on benno's ideas
From: Karl W. MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 03:05:47 EEST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> Thats why I support the notion that LADSPA (v1.0 at least) should be
> really really simple. We can experiment with it, and see what we
> think. Given that I don't think anyone on who has posted on LAD has
> ever written a VST plugin, we're in a pretty weak position to comment
> on whether or not multiple or single datatypes makes sense.
>
> --p

Yes, I agree with this to a large extent and I have never written a VST
plugin (nor would I consider myself an expert in any of this - I am really
just a trombone player who got mixed up with the wrong crowd :)). The
experience I am basing this on is developing plugins (objects) for Max/MSP
and PD and comparing this to the complexity of writing objects for Max/FTS
and, to some extent, jMax. They are not directly analoguos but a LADSPA
plugin (in the current 'official' version) is surprisingly similar to a PD
or MSP object. My point is that the float only model has proven to be a
very usable solution in these situations (both in my personal experience
and in many other peoples opinion whom I respect) - even taking into
account the fact that many of these objects read/write int data to/from
disk in a variety of formats, interface with strange external hardware,
process midi (which is represented as floats internally in PD), and even
process 2d/3d graphics. This is not the only solution of course (otherwise
there would be no SuperCollider or RTcmix to say nothing of the more
'mainstream' products), but since the goals of LADSPA seem similar to
MSP/PD on some basic level it seems like a good idea to borrow ideas.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| 410/659-8297 |