Re: [linux-audio-dev] defending simplicity

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] defending simplicity
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 23:53:55 EEST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Don't assume the host can handle and understand the audio data!
> It doesn't happen in my engine, for example.

Ok, we must be talking about different things... Let's say
I have a simple host that reads a 8bit mono file, processes
it with a LADSPA plugin and writes to another file. If
my host doesn't recognize formats used by the LADSPA plugins,
how can it fill the plugin buffer? Or are plugins supposed
to support 8bit data? Converters? What am I missing?

>> LADSPA plugins for Paul's latest Ardour version (26channel 24bit-in-32bit
>> data), LASDPA plugins for aRts/MCOP, etc etc ... Yep, sure we have a
> But we have can automatically find out are they compatible or not!
> That is perfectly ok.

... and most plugins end up usable only with a limited set of hosts.
And don't say use converters. Converting data is expensive. In my own
apps, I've tried to limit converting to two specific places: 1) when
data enters the system, 2) when it's outputted. I don't want to
start doing conversion before and after every plugin.

> And the above kind of mess will never happen --- if only you have brains,
> that is. Naturally 26 channel data is as soon as possible converted
> to 26 x 1 channel data with a plug-in provided by Paul.

Oh yes, we convert it to 26 *mono* streams. That's just what I've been
suggesting. But no brains here so I'm just guessing... >;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .