Re: [linux-audio-dev] defending simplicity

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] defending simplicity
From: Erik Steffl (esteffl_AT_pbi.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 01:23:03 EEST

  the LADSPA is supposed to be THE api for audio plugins, as far as I
see. it's going to be use for different purposes, on different HW,
right?

  while you can argue that you can do whatever you see as useful with 32
bit data (or 24 or whatever other number of bits you think is OK) it
does not apply to all situations. in some cases you might want to have
lower quality stream if bandwidth and/or memory is scarce. in some cases
you might want to have 64 bits because of intensive DSP processing that
looses precision quickly... etc... just because typical computer can
process 32 bit audio now (in reasonable time) does not mean that it is
good for each particular use...

  this is currently out of scope but: you might want to process other,
non-audio data in the same framework - like midi or other control
data... provide support for data visualisation etc... since all is
stream of bytes I see no reason not to simply allow any data type. I
mean, what's the difference?

  question: why is the above (non-audio data) out of scope? when
designing a framework for audio system (a way for audio processing
programs to communicate), the care must be taken that specific audio
requirements are met (bandwidth, enough processing power, real-time
response/processing in some cases etc.). but there is no reason to limit
the system to audio only - after all you have to pass controlling
information, if you are processing audio you might also want to process
midi in the same framework and possibly other data... and since these
have same (or even lower) requirements as audio data, what is the reason
not to allow these data?

        erik