Re: [linux-audio-dev] defending simplicity

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] defending simplicity
From: Karl W. MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 03:40:49 EEST

> 1) since Windows is the market leader, reverse-engineer it and make a
> free-clone, fully compatible with the original one, thousand of programs
> will run on the free-OS
>

> 2) write a better one from scratch: Linux is an example
> less pain, much more power , but windows apps will not run natively
>
> use a "wrapper" like Wine to achieve backwards compatibility , although
> with some drawbacks (slower performance,some compatibility problems of
> certain apps)
>
> an audio API is certainly ORDERS OF MAGNITUTES simpler than Windows,
> therefore the "wrapper" can be made almost perfect.

This is very strange to me. Linux is a clone, just of unix instead of
windows. Everytime you use emacs, sendmail, ps, ls, etc, etc you are using
one of a "thousand of programs will run on the free-OS". Also, you are
assuming that VST authors make no API calls beyond standard C and VST -
this seems very unlikey.

Karl

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| 410/659-8297 |