[linux-audio-dev] Final issues (Was: Re: LADSPA copy-n-paste doc. error)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Final issues (Was: Re: LADSPA copy-n-paste doc. error)
From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson_AT_norran.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 02:29:43 EEST

Hi again,

(First I thought to send this to Richard only
but there are stuff that are interesting for
all of you - I hope...)

Now I have read it throu more carefully...

<<< 1 >>>

Please add version number.
And maybe even byte size of structure...

<<< 2 >>>

(related LADSPA_HINT_LOGARITHMIC)
LADSPA_HINT_INTEGER
  If I want steps of ten then? Powers of two?

Can be replaced with
LADSPA_HINT_LOGARITHMIC for showing only

LADSPA_HINT_ADDITIVE_STEPS
LADSPA_HINT_MULTIPLICATIVE_STEPS

And addition of a

LADSPA_Data BoundedStep;

<<< 3a >>>

why not keep the port fields together?

typedef struct _LADSPA_Port
{
        const char * Name;
        const LADSPA_PortDescriptor Descriptor;
        const LADSPA_PortRangeHint RangeHint;
} LADSPA_Port;

But still use it indirect, or linked:

const LADSPA_Port * const * Ports;

<<< 3b >>>

Port name, wont it need internationalization (i18n) ?
Name and unit! Should they be splitted, with unit as enum?
You can not present the text strings directly!
Should they be registred?

<<< 3c future >>>

Port name (or rather unit), base for multiple type support?!
You cannot connect "Frequency [Hz]" with "Delay [s]"
without _explicitly_ accepting it. Other examples:
"Sound [PCM]" v. "Sound [A-law]"

Should name and unit be splitted now to simplify things later?

<<< 3d future >>>

Port descriptor can be used for multi port support.

#define LADSPA_PORT_MULTICONNECT 0x10

it can be used as

  connect_port(handle, 1, LocationA);
  connect_port(handle, 1, LocationB);
  connect_port(handle, 2, LocationC);

It might be better to use the pointer to the port
directly as second parameter. Or having two
index to simplify disconnect/reconnect.

  connect_port(handle, 1, 1, LocationA);
  connect_port(handle, 2, 1, LocationB);
  connect_port(handle, 3, 2, LocationC);